By: Dr. Jim Bodoh, Chiropractor at River City Chiropractic
With the seasons changing and it getting colder outside, we have seen an increased incidences of people getting sick with cold and flu symptoms. Some of this plays into the changing of the season, but most of this plays in to how well you take care of yourself. Did you ever wonder why some people seem to be sick all the time in the winter and other people seem to be healthy the whole time? For many of these “healthy” people, it doesn’t even matter that they are surrounded by sick people; they still seem to never get sick. These “healthy” people are taking better care of themselves with different choices to boost their immune system. We are going to share with you the secrets of staying healthy throughout the winter season.
There are three main categories that we will talk about to help boost your immune system: Lifestyle Changes, Vitamins, and Chiropractic Care.
Lifestyle changes to help you avoid getting sick can be some of the most effective ways to keep you healthy.
- Sleep– your body’s immune system needs you to sleep to function at its maximum capacity. Get at least 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
- Avoid Sugar– bacteria feed on sugar, avoiding added sugar can help starve the bacteria and make them easier for your immune system to get rid of.
- Increase protein– protein drives the immune system. There are countless amino acids that come from protein that are rate limiting steps in your immune system reactions.
- Eat immune boosting foods– these foods include: Fruits, Vegetables, Garlic, Onion, and Ginger.
Vitamins help supplement your diet so that your body can function at maximum capacity to fight off colds. Try adding these vitamins during the cold season.
- Zinc– 100 different steps in the immune system need Zinc around to happen.
- Vitamin C– an Anti-Oxidant which protects healthy cells and promotes your immune system.
- Vitamin A– blocks infections from getting in the body.
- Vitamin E– an Anti-Oxidant that promotes the immune system.
- Echinacea– an Anti-microbial that kills bacteria and boosts immune-cell activity.
- Bee Propolis– an Anti-microbial that also fights off viruses.
Chiropractic care can help your immune system also!
- Getting adjusted regularly improves immune system functions to help you fight off colds.
- Your chiropractic care can also help you get over a cold quicker by activating the nerves that control your immune system.
- You will feel better faster after getting adjusted when you have a cold.
Follow these easy steps to help yourself have the healthiest year of your life.
Comments and subscriptions are encouraged.
Make an appointment for a Chiropractic Evaluation or a massage at River City Chiropractic in Onalaska, WI